The metaverse is a digital replica of our physical world; everything we do here can be done there. It is vast, expansive, interoperable and scalable. No one owns the metaverse, and is a decentralised platform. Its popularity is growing rapidly, as are its uses and applications.
Its application in the education domain inspires new educational content. Metaverse education is reorienting the traditional ways of learning and instruction. The metaverse offers learning solutions aimed at bridging the current gaps in education and enabling learners to be forearmed with the skills required in the coming years.
– Roblox is a popular gaming platform and into metaverse solutions and sees 50 million users daily. (Edtech magazine)
– Roblox offers ISTE lesson plans, invests in the educational metaverse, and wishes to leverage the technology to offer relevant education to K-12 education. (Edweek)
– Facebook is contemplating an investment of $150mn to create VR-backed learning experiences.
The Metaverse and Education
The Metaverse has become one of the most heralded technologies and is raring to expand exponentially. It is being involved in every sector. The metaverse is a shared virtual space that seems like the real world. Through their digital avatars, people can connect, trade, network and study in the metaverse. Users can access the metaverse through devices or through AR-VR headsets.
– Predictions are that 25% of people globally will spend an hour daily in the metaverse for either work, education or entertainment. (Gartner)
– Dallas Hybrid Prep is a school which functions on its metaverse platform-STEMuli. Students enter the virtual world through their devices and learn in a virtual learning environment. Students are identified by their avatars and participate in the learn-to-earn model for learning and completing tasks.
The Metaverse and Science Education
Daily, our dependency on technology for connection and education is increasing. The metaverse is an extension of that need. It will reorient and give our lives a new direction. It will impact the basic fabric of our lives, social bonds, education, and work.
The metaverse and its associated technologies will usher in transformational changes to our education system. Through the metaverse and AR-VR, the learning of STEM subjects is undergoing massive changes. It is becoming easier to comprehend and relevant. Conducting experiments is easier, more controlled and cost-effective.
Consider a few examples.
– Medical students working on a cure can use deep intense simulation to study molecular structures of healthy and unhealthy cells
– They can even make genetic modifications to assess the reactions.
– And they don’t need a physical lab or a human body. Most of all, this research would not be possible in a physical lab!
– Engineers can calculate loads and strength capacities while building roads and highways. They can even develop prototypes of products and buildings before launches to save time and money.
Advantages of a Metaverse-based Science Education.
Humanity’s progress depends on the advancement of science. A thorough conceptual understanding of science subjects will enable new research and innovations. It also helps develop the skills of critical thinking, which is a core element of 21st-century education.
The metaverse can teach complex concepts in 3D simulations. This enables an immersive learning experience which enhances the learning outcomes.
The metaverse combines the use of technologies like AR and VR. They offer in-depth visualisation making the study of core scientific principles better. The restrictions faced in traditional classrooms are eliminated.
The metaverse enables a seamless blend of e-learning and hands-on, active learning.
– For example, a topic on radioactivity and nuclear safety was part of the syllabus for fifth and sixth graders. They learned in a virtual immersive space. They attended the lecture and carried out hands-on experiments. The feedback was a relatively higher learning outcome. (Science Direct)
– If kids are to be taught about climate changes happening in the Polar Regions, they cannot really empathise with the effects until they experience them. An immersive VR experience can teleport them to Antarctica, where they can be one amongst the penguins and experience for themselves the ill effects.
This type of learning will raise their consciousness and impact them to search for better solutions or ways to stop more harm to the environment.
To conclude, the metaverse is no longer a distant reality. It is here and now. Education metaverse, Metaverse land, metaverse for fashion, you name it, and it exists!!
Metaverse Education will pioneer new systems for STEM learning. It will enable the exploration and discovery of new scientific processes.
Using the metaverse to study STEM subjects will enable a deeper comprehension of subjects. Edverse is a pioneer in the sphere of metaverse learning solutions.